Noticed a red dot at the base of penis after having protected sex. What could it be?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi, just today i noticed a red dot at the very base of my penis. I thought nothing of it and just scratched it and it went away for a while. Now, about two hours later it's showing again. I'm not sure if it's syphilis or just an ingrown hair. Is there a way to find that out? I also had protected sex with a girl I met at a bar exactly 3 weeks ago - and I read that the first sign of syphilis shows up after 21 days. However this is nothing like the sores on photos.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Unlikely to be Syphilis,hairfolliculitis possible Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query. Though you had protected sex, the protection was not there for the base of penis and adjacent parts like scrotum, groin etc. Chances of STD are likely, but rare. All that glitters are not gold. Like that all sore like thing not necessarily due to Syphilis. Syphilitic sore appear any time between 10-100 days, average around 21 days. It will appear as a pappule (a raised skin thickening) and later becomes ulcer or sore and the sore will be painless and indurated (feel hard as a button). But nowadays ulcerative STD are rare and is having a remote chance in a condom uncovered area. What you had described, may be a hair folliculitis. Sorry,Photos were not found along with your question. If you consult your Dermatologist he will examine the lesion and also with investigations (if necessary) will come to a diagnosis and able to treat you better. Nothing to worry. Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 12 minutes later
Hi, I am attaching the close up of this bump. Just to put my mind at rest :) And if diagnosis for folliculitis is correct, how can I treat it? Thanks!
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Notlikely Syphilis,Oralantibiotic for folliculitis Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. The clarity of the picture sent by you is not very good. I am able to see some patchy red discoloration rather than a bump. Anyway I definitely feel it is not at all related to Syphilis. It may be an allergic reaction due to some local irritation or a hair folliculitis. Sometimes it will heal spontaneously. If hair folliculitis persists or spreads, then it is better to have some antibiotics for a week or 10 days along with some topical antibiotic or antiseptic creams. Antiseptic soaps also will be helpful to prevent new lesions. All these thing have to be taken with the guidance of a physician. Dr S.Murugan