Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Noticed a large tennis ball size painless lump on upper back. Smoker. Should I be worried?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9351 Questions
Hi Dr. Grief I am a male smoker 51 years of age and noticed a large tennis ball size lump on my upper back, the left side, there is no pain but hard to the touch. should I worry about this
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
I dont think this is related to your smoking. It sounds like benign subcutaneous lesion and in this area most commonly are found lipomas, atheromas and fibromas. It can cause problems if become inflammated and infected. It can be easily surgically removed under local anasthesia now or you can wait and see will it cause any symptoms. If you want to be sure about the diagnosis ultrasound with needle biopsy can be performed.
Possibility of malignancy is minor if there is no pain, bleeding or secretion from it so there is no need to be concerned.
WIsh you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,  
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor