Noticed a hole in septum on the nose. What should I do?

Dr. Sriram Nathan

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello there, This summer my allergies were out of control and the ingested medicine makes me loopy so I controlled it mostly with nasal sprays. I had a prescribed one I used in the past for a sinus infection along with some OTC ones. I have always had history since I was 5 or so of bloody noses and bad nasal issues. Recently I have been having bloody noses alot (possibly due to the change in weather I live in a cold dry place.) I tried looking up my nose and noticed a small hole in the septum on my nose. Doesn't really bother me and it's worse on the right side than the left, is there anything I can do to help? Also about 2 months ago I was at a concert and my elbow got hit and the straw in my drink shoved up the right nostril. I have quit using the nasal sprays and this time of year isn't as bad for my allergies.
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: allergy and sinusitis Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome to health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and i will try to help you with your problems. At the offset let me first assure you that allergy affects everyone and is very common though the extent varies. Coming to your problems one by one : - regarding your allergy, since you are getting good relief with nasal spray and minimal medication I would advice you to continue using them for symptom control. We say that what works should not be interfered with. But personally I would always recommend an antihistamine like levocetrizine which I believe is more safer and effective. But of course I would leave it to your convenience and your doctors opinion. - regarding your blood from the nose. If it does not bother you and if the incidence is not frequent then you have nothing to worry about as you rightly opined it may be due to dryness. However if you have recurrence and massive bleed then you must get a complete bleeding profile and CT PNS and get back to me or any ENT with the reports. - regarding the hole which may have been either caused by the dryness or the block or the injury which you mentioned. In any case if it does not bother you then you just do not meddle and wait and watch. If you feel any discomfort then you must get a nasal endoscopy and get back to me or any ENT surgeon with the report. These are specifics for your symptoms. In general you must avoid dust and cold and also do steam inhalation whenever possible. Also do not pick or meddle with your nose. Hope your doubts are clearer and I will be more than happy to answer any more doubts. Get well soon and take care Regards Dr Sriram Nathan