Noticed a dark pigmented area on labia minora. Could it be a mole or skin discolouration?

Dr. Ilyas Patel

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I discovered a circular dark pigmented area about 2-3mm on my labia minora, it is not painful, itchy, it is just there. could it be a mole or skin discoloration?
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: You may be having melanocytic nevus. Detailed Answer: Hi, You may be having pigmented nevus on labia minora. It is also called melanocytic nevus. The lesion is not painful, it is not itchy and you have no symptoms. It is a small patch brown to black colored..right? I feel it is melanocytic nevus. If it is so, do not worry, it is a benign condition. It is harmless until it is converted in to malignant melanoma. If possible, you upload the photograph of the lesion to the right of this query page. It would be very helpful for me to confirm the diagnosis. There is no need to take any treatment. You just keep it under keen observation. I hope, you may be satisfied with my answer. If any query, you are welcome. Thanks. Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Ilyas Patel 17 minutes later
is there proper treatment for it? such as removing the part of the labia
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 2 hours later
Brief Answer: It may be excised under local anaesthesia. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. Yes, it can be treated, if you wish. Melanocytic nevus is a benign condition. It may be excised under local anaesthesia. Or it may be kept untreated as it is benign condition. Ok... Have healthy life. Thanks. Dr. Ilyas Patel MD