Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Noticed a bulging pulse point on wrist. What to do?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
a bulging pulse point "ulner" on wrist...about the size of an insect bite...appeared about 24 hours ago ... no further problems
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

Could be either circulatory, tendon or even neuro-muscular, it is hard to say without an examination.

First you should ice it and elevate it. An aspirin to thin the blood could help as well. If this doesn't, it could indicate high blood pressure and you should consider seeing a doctor. It may indicate some sort of a blockage as well.

Long term usage or large doses of Ibuprofen could cause this in a small percentage of the population.

If your pain spreads only to thumb, you might be suffering from median nerve at the wrist in carpal tunnel. This pain often occurs during sleeping. The pain often is associated with paresthesia and tingling.

There is a simple test you can perform at home. Try to gently flex your wrist as much as possible, and wait for about 60 seconds. If numbness will occur this is very probable you have this disease. To verify it electromyography and nerve conduction velocity should be performed. It can be treated by simple surgery.

There is also a chance that you are suffering from veins thrombosis. This can also cause pain of your arm and forearm and it is always associated with swelling and redness of the area where it occurs.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor