Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Not overweight. When wearing sandals or flip flops, have pains as cannot bear weight. Advise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
I am a 49 year old female in good health -play tennis and am not overweight. When I wear closed toe shoes I'm fine but if I wear sandals or flip flops, after about an hour the third and fourth toes on my R foot cannot bear weight and feel like the bones are not supporting my toes. It feels like pinching and is very painful. What is going on?


Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is fundamental, especially in your case to put on shoes that allow your feet to be perfectly free. Choosing an appropriate shoe size and type is of utmost importance.

It could be important to know exactly when you started experiencing such symptoms. There are cases when people have silent lesions, at times fractures of the tarsals(small bones of the feet) that do express themselves as mild pain, and grow gradually in intensity as time goes on). It might be worth while getting appropriate X rays with specified incidences as would be prescribed by an orthopedist. A careful clinical examination by an orthopedist is my advice. Good cotton sports shoes for tennis are advisable.

It is very important to get these silent tarsal fractures excluded with these x rays, and confronted with results of a good clinical examination. Also, appropriate shoes for tennis are advised. It is good you are taking calcium. If you are in Menopause already, it might necessary to control your blood Calcium and Vitamin D levels, in order to take appropriate doses depending on the results.

Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be. Will be honored contributin my bit to your well being.

Best regards,

Bain LE, MD.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor