Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Not having normal bowel movement. CT scan showed cyst in ovary. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
I am a 41 year old female. I have one child, hysterectomy May 2010. For the last two weeks I have not been able to have a normal bowel movement. There is some, but not much. I have taken oral laxitives and 2 enamas and nothing. Went to ER last week because my stomach hurts. They did x-ray and CT Scan and said I am a cyst on left ovary, blood in my urine, but that was all they could see. They gave me Goelytle but it did not work. I'm at a loss now. What should I do? What could this be? I am still backed up, it hurts to stand up straight and walk, I have nausea, and little appetite.
Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 46 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

It looks like you may be suffering from partial intestines obstruction due to adhesions. Such adhesions do appear after any abdominal surgery and depending of the location can cause symptoms like yours. Such adhesion makes intestine (usually small intestine) hanging on it, disturb blood flow into intestine and/or makes it narrow.
Such obstruction can come and go. That is why sometimes it is hard to visualize it with abdominal X-ray or even CT.
There might be also other reason of intestines obstruction like Crohn`s disease, colon cancer, endometriosis, inguinal or abdominal hernia.
What you should do is to have colonoscopy performed, abdominal Ct with oral contrast (so called enteroclysis). If this tests will also be negative, you should consult with general surgeon and ask him about diagnostic laparoscopy. This is a kind of surgery where the camera is put into abdominal cavity to see what causes the problem.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor