Not getting proper sleep, don't want to take sleeping pills. What to take?
Thank you for writing to us.
Treatment of an inability to sleep is divided into medical and non-medical categories. There are no vitamins that would help, the only medication that can help are sleeping pills. As you wish to avoid medication, let us discuss the non-medical aspect of treatment of insomnia (inability to sleep), this includes behavioral therapy:
-Exercise 30 minutes-1 hour before you sleep (4-5 hours prior to bedtime)
-Do not oversleep
-Fix a regular sleep and awakening time (schedule); even on weekends, do not change this
-Avoid caffeinated and alcoholic beverages from after noon
-Have a meal at least 1-2 hours before bed time (avoid large meals)
-Avoid smoking in the evening
-Avoid taking worries to bed
-Adjust temperature in the room to a comfortable level
-Avoid long naps during the day time
-Avoid other activities once you are in bed, other than sleep and sexual activities (TV, reading, etc.)
-Visit the toilet 30 minutes before bed
The main approach in treating insomnia is to find the cause. Treating symptoms of insomnia without addressing the cause, will rarely result in success. I can understand sleeplessness can really be frustrating, I wish you would visit a doctor for an elaborate examination, so you wouldn't have to go through this any longer, especially if you are suffering from an inability to sleep for more than three weeks, or if you don't seem to find relief from the above mentioned advise.
I hope this helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I shall be glad to help. I wish you a good nights sleep.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Feeling giddy after taking sleeping pill what should i do
- I cannot sleep without taking sleeping pill
- Taking sleeping pills rectal bleed
- Should i take sleeping pills
- What happens if baby takes sleeping pills
- What measures can one take to get good sleep
- Is it safe to take mirtazapine to get sleep
- First aid for taking sleeping pills
- How to stop to take sleeping pill
- Is it ok to take sleeping pills
- Not getting proper sleep, don't want to take sleeping pills. What to take?
- Radiation done for tongue cancer. Started getting pain. How to overcome...
- How to get rid of swollen and painful inner labia?
- Have bradycardia. Got positive stress test and qrs-t angle on ekg. Risk...
- Suffering from chronic acute bronchitis and recurrent pneumonitis. Safe...
- Hard bump appeared on inner thigh and lower abdomen. What could be...
- Have severe dry eye. On Restasis. Used moisture pads. Nothing helped....
- Have osteoporosis. Is it safe to stop taking fosomax while on calcium...
- Sudden pop sound in back. Experiencing pain and hot flashes. Took...
- Suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and bipolar 2. Why am I...