Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Not active sexually. What is the reason for missed period?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9349 Questions
my 12 year old daughter has missed 3 periods. she is not pregnant or sexually active, what could this mean?......please help!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 34 minutes later

First, you need to know that this is absolutely nothing to worry about. For such young girls this is normal.
At the start of puberty and after first menstruation periods are usually irregular, even for more then 3 months. Her hormone levels needs few more years to become constant so you can expect irregular periods during this time.

Of course sometimes there is a particular cause, most common are stress, eating disorders and excessive exercise. Less common are secondary amenorrhea, ovarian or uterine disorders or hormonal imbalance and these must be evaluated and treated.

So doctors suggest that if missed period persists 6-8 months (3 more in your daughter's case) then you should visit gynecologist. Till that, dont worry and explain it to your daughter. If some other symptoms such as abdominal pain, fever, heavy menstrual bleeding or fatigue occur then go to hospital as soon as you can.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Not active sexually. What is the reason for missed period? 17 hours later
Thank you very much Dr. Romic!!!! I feel so much better, have a blessed day.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
I am glad that I can be helpful and I hope that you are less worried now. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor