Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Normal to have clicking in arm and pain when taking deep breath due to injured rib?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
I tripped and banged my left back ribs into a wooden cabinet. It was extremely painful at first. Lots of bruising and swelling on the side rib area. I can function but I notice now that when I move my arm there is a clicking that occurs in that area. I also have pain when I take a deep breath. Otherwise I feel ok. Are these symptoms normal with an injured rib?
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: X-ray should be done. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. This symptoms indicate that rib fracture is possible. This is quite common effect of chest injury. Broken rib itself is not XXXXXXX however during the injury some air could appear between the lung and chest wall (it is called pneumothorax). Such air in some cases can be life threatening. That is why, every chest trauma should be checked with an X-ray. Please visit your doctor, have chest X-ray and ribs X-ray. In case of rib fracture, pain killers will be necessary as it is quite painful (as you may notice right now). The pain can last even for few weeks. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Normal to have clicking in arm and pain when taking deep breath due to injured rib? 18 minutes later
This injury occurred yesterday early evening. Can I wait until tomorrow to get an X-ray or can I wait until tomorrow and go to my regular doctor?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: If you do not have any shortness of breath, no sweating, fever, no pain radiating to the arm, heart rate is lower than 100, you can wait till to tomorrow to see your regular doctor. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor