Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

No relief despite taking Z pack and alcohol drops for fluid in ear, what should I do?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2559 Questions
I have experienced fluid in my right ear for almost two weeks. I have tried a Z Pack prescribed by my doctor. I still have no relief. I am not dizzy, nor do I feel bad.have tried alcohol drops. What must I do?
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad -8 hours later
Brief Answer: What other symptoms do you have? Detailed Answer: Hi, Fluid in right ear to most medical doctors mean fluid within the middle ear behind the ear drum. This condition is termed as otitis media. I am not sure if you meant the same or you meant you are discharging fluid from the ear. Please clarify. I would also like to know what other symptoms you have besides this one. Are you able to hear properly especially with the right ear and do you have pain? Otitis media is strongly associated with nasal and throat condition. Therefore I recommend my patients to use steam inhalation and nasal decongestant drops along with antibiotics. Valsalva manoeuver such as chewing a gum is also known to drain the fluid out. I suggest my patients to try these three along with antibiotics before opting for grommet (tube) insertion. Looking forwards to hear from you... Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: No relief despite taking Z pack and alcohol drops for fluid in ear, what should I do? 10 minutes later
Thank you. I meant that fluid is trapped in my right ear. There is a sense of pressure and fullness, but no pain. Is amoxicillin better for this than a z pack? I have tried nasonex, but not on a regular basis. Would ten days of antibiotics be a good thing? Should I visit my doctor? Best Regards, XXXX I do not notice impaired hearing, but a slight difference in hearing at times when my ear feels full.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: I prefer penicillin group of drugs.... Detailed Answer: Hi, I prefer amoxicillin + clavulanic acid combination three times a day in ear infections. But a few people do not tolerate this medicine very well. I would use either Z-pack (azithromycin) or cefixime group of drugs. 10 days of antibiotic is sufficient to take care of ear infection. But I would prefer you to start appropriate antibiotic after you consult a doctor. Unethical use of antibiotics before consulting a doctor can mask physicial signs making it extremely difficult for your doctors to decide the right step of action in case you don't respond well to amoxicillin. Moreover blocked ear may just be due to a wax collection which doesn't need antibiotic therapy. Therefore it is worthwhile to see a doctor now. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more information. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: No relief despite taking Z pack and alcohol drops for fluid in ear, what should I do? 7 hours later
Thank you very much for your help
Answered by Dr. Prasad 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Wish you a speedy recovery.... Detailed Answer: I'm glad it helped you. And I hope you solve your ear problem soon with the able guidance. If you have no more questions can you spare a few minutes to rate my answer. You can do it by closing the discussion. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor