Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

No periods for two months, on birth control pills, missed a pill. What is the problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12758 Questions
I'm on the birth control pill and this is the 2nd month in a row I havent gotten my period during the off pill week. The last time I had sex was in XXXXXXX I got my period in July, and in August I missed a pill. What could be wrong?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 30 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us.

If you did not have any sex after XXXXXXX and you had normal periods in july after that then pregnancy is not a consideration here.

Absence of bleeding in pill free week is commonly seen with combination pills. Missing a single pill during the cycle does decrease its contraceptive effect. If there is no history of unprotected sex during this time then there is nothing to worry.

You can continue taking the pills after ruling out the pregnancy by taking a urine for pregnancy home card test. Usually the periods return normally after the pills are stopped.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: No periods for two months, on birth control pills, missed a pill. What is the problem? 10 hours later
I'm aware about the absence of bleeding while missing a pill, which is why I didn't have my period in August. However, my questions is what could be the reason I don't have it this month? I took all regular pills, etc. Stress/bad eating habits can't be an issue here either.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

If you do not get periods for three months consecutively then we need to investigate you for secondary causes of amenorrhea like thyroid disturbance, polycystic ovaries, hyperprolactinemia, etc.

A few blood test to analyse hormone levels and ultrasound examination are entailed. I suggest you to consult your gynecologist and get the necessary tests done.

Hope this helps.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor