Owl Image

No periods after hysteroscopy. Scan showed ovarian cyst, started cramping and bleeding. What to do?

Excellent
Question
Hi, I am 49 years of age and approx 2 years ago I had a hysteroscopy because I had had some bleeding after going for 18 months or so with no periods. The results were normal although a scan had picked up a small cyst but when I went for another scan a few months later it had gone on its own.
Today I have some slight cramping and slight bleeding and I'm concerned. I have been under quite some stress recently and wondered if that could be the cause?
Will I need a repeat hysteroscopy?
Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 14 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

The ovarian cyst that they saw, and that went away is unrelated to your situation.

Your bleeding was likely related to problems with your cycles unrelated to an anatomical problem (such as a polyp). Given you age, your doctor did the appropriate evaluation to rule out pre-cancerous changes. What you are experiencing is more likely related to not ovulating regularly. This is common as women approach menopause. If it has been more than 6 months since the hysteroscopy, then you need to go back in for an "endometrial biopsy" and this can be performed in the office. Also, you need updated labs related to your thyroid disease to make sure that you are not under or over-treated.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any followup questions!