No improvement with diflucan and cleocin for vaginal itching. What do you recommend?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I have taken 1 dose of diflucan and continue with 3 days of Cleocin vaginal ovules. this is mu 1sh morning after takeing cleocin and diflucan. I feel crampy and uncomfortable. The diflucan was taken last night and not to be taken again. Is it normal to feel badly from the cleocin. Vaginal itch continues. Do I put a mild lubricant on it or suffer. Note I have IBS sensative stomach. thank you.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: it can take 36 hours for an improvement Detailed Answer: hi, thank for using healthcare magic It can take 36 to 48 hours for improvement to occur with these anti fungal medications such as diflucan. This is because fungi, such as those in yeast infections, are slow to respond to treatment. You can apply a mild lubricant or if you have a mild steroid cream you can apply this as well. The steroid cream would reduce the inflammation caused by the yeast and help relieve the itching till the antifungal you are using start to have an effect Cleocin vaginal ovules are anti bacterial and are used to bacterial vaginosis, they would not be effective for a yeast infection. Like all medications there are potential side effects and it is possible that it is contributing to how you are feeling this am. If your infection and itching is due to a yeast infection then you may want to use an anti fungal cream or ovule though some persons use only dilflucan. Examples of over the counter anti fungal creams are: monistat, terazol, clotrimaderm, femstat, lotrisone. In summary, if your doctor believes that the infection is bacterial vaginosis then the cleocin will help treat it, if it is yeast infection, it would not be effective and you may need another cream/ovule. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions