Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

176 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

No improvement seen after taking tramadol. Suggest suitable treatment for arthritis

Answered by
Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1998

Answered : 5165 Questions

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Arthritis
Question: i have been on tramadol for several years but it is no longer working. is there a place i can get a prescription on line for arthritis and pain in my legs?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Otc drugs can be given but for speciality consult.

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

According to your symptoms and findings there is osteoarthritis of your knee.
You can start cartilage protecting medication like chondritin sulphate twice daily, that you need to take for couple of months [available OTC].
Take analgesic like Percocet 10/325 and add tab methylcobalamine 1500mcg daily.

Physiotherapy like ultrasound and tens will help, along with knee exercises

Life style changes will help in reducing pain which include,
ACTIVITY MODIFICATION -It is important to maintain as much activity and joint motion as possible, but impact activities will aggravate arthritis. Running and jumping will often accelerate cartilage loss from the joint. The key is to focus on low impact activities, such as swimming or cycling.
USING CANES: Assistive devices can make it easier to go about your day without stressing your painful joint. A cane may take weight off your knee or hip as you walk. Carry the cane in the hand opposite the leg that hurts.
VISCOSUPPLEMENTATION: Hyaluronic acid injections given into the joint (especially large joints like knee joint) in prescribed dosages will give good short term pain relief in arthritic joints ranging from 1-2 years. You need to consult orthopaedic surgeon for taking it.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
If you are satisfied with answer do not forget to give rating to this answer.

Wishing you good health.

Take care

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Cartilage

doctor1 MD

I have front lower leg pain including knee and ankle when sitting with leg slightly elevated such as when driving my car . It goes away when standing. ( I had the cartilage removed from knee in 1952, but this is a new problem.) Thank you for your ideas.

doctor1 MD

My friend has aa tingly numb spot on the cartilage of his outer ear - this has gone on for 2 days. No assoc pain or redness. No other symptoms, has not experience any neck or other pain. Originally it felt cold as if there was water on that spot but no fluid is just numb and tingly. What could this be?

doctor1 MD

Hi, I had my upper cartilage pierced a week and a half ago and when i first went he said i had difficult ears to pierce but, said he could do it anyway. i've been having really bad pain and last night I went to A&E who told me that i'm allergic to the metal and I was close to getting septicemia, the piercer screwed a lip bar in my ear so it took three doctors to get it out because it was stuck they've put me on a strong course of Anti-biotics. I was already poorly but today i've started feeling very poorly; my question is: when will I start to feel better? (18 years old)

doctor1 MD

I have a nasal perforation , visited a local ENT specialist and he said there was nothing that could be done , that all the techniques available didbn't work and caused more problems , made it worst . Please let me know what different procedures are available , and , is it possible for the hole to become smaller by cartliage growth ? It's well nown in the field of Arthritis care that it is possible , I wonder in at least the hole can become smaller by taking supplements , eating cooked cartilage , etc.Thanks , Mark

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, To give background. if you remember you where asked serious of questions related to child not urinating and mother milk not coming 1 week back. i am the same. Just to remember in future conversations my name is "Axxxxxxx" Baby age: 3...

doctor1 MD

I am having knee pain in my right knee (See attachment). the pain is dull and only slightly nagging when, but is more painful during cold weather. the pain is most noticeable when climbing stairs. pain when climbing stairs is more painful than the...

doctor1 MD

ear Doctor, I am male aged 45 yrs vegetarian. I am doing a Central Government job. My life is sedentary one. MY PROBLEM IS SINCE ONE YEAR OSTEOARTHRITIS DEVELOPED IN THE KNEES. DOCTOR HAS SUGGESTED FOR X-RAY AND MRI . IN THIS IT IS FOUND OUT THAT...