No improvement seen after taking tramadol. Suggest suitable treatment for arthritis

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Arthritis
Question: i have been on tramadol for several years but it is no longer working. is there a place i can get a prescription on line for arthritis and pain in my legs?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Otc drugs can be given but for speciality consult.

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

According to your symptoms and findings there is osteoarthritis of your knee.
You can start cartilage protecting medication like chondritin sulphate twice daily, that you need to take for couple of months [available OTC].
Take analgesic like Percocet 10/325 and add tab methylcobalamine 1500mcg daily.

Physiotherapy like ultrasound and tens will help, along with knee exercises

Life style changes will help in reducing pain which include,
ACTIVITY MODIFICATION -It is important to maintain as much activity and joint motion as possible, but impact activities will aggravate arthritis. Running and jumping will often accelerate cartilage loss from the joint. The key is to focus on low impact activities, such as swimming or cycling.
USING CANES: Assistive devices can make it easier to go about your day without stressing your painful joint. A cane may take weight off your knee or hip as you walk. Carry the cane in the hand opposite the leg that hurts.
VISCOSUPPLEMENTATION: Hyaluronic acid injections given into the joint (especially large joints like knee joint) in prescribed dosages will give good short term pain relief in arthritic joints ranging from 1-2 years. You need to consult orthopaedic surgeon for taking it.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
If you are satisfied with answer do not forget to give rating to this answer.