Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Nipples are hard and standing out, bumps near nipples, not itchy or painful but sensitive. Want to know if there is any solution

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3618 Questions
hi doctor ! my i am a 20 year old boy. i have a male nipple problem. if I where shirts my nipples stand out and is so clearly visible, They're always hard,and very big for me being a male, I am not sure if I have Gynecomastia, also i'm not overweight but my nipples is an embarrassment.I've tried gyming hard it made no difference,I'm so sad and embarrassed about this,also I have these small little bumps next to my nipples,They don't hurt or itch, but are sensitive. Due to this problem i cant even wear any dress that i want to, I always have to find a very specific dress which is really really hard.Also all my body fats tend go towards my thighs and butt due to which my figure is similar to the one of a womens which is really really depressing for me to even look at the mirror. Buying new cloths for me is a complete nightmare.I have tried going gym, and i a active sports man who plays for my uni football litereally i am at my lowest point of my life, I have tried all my ideas to sort this porblem but none seems to work. so, would like to know if there is any solutions to this problem??surgery?hormoes medicine ?? I am a university student, but currently my self confidence is at all time low which is effecting my study and personal life at every possible way. please can u give me a possible solutions. also due to the nature of my problem its really really really hard to even consoult it with my family doctor.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Thanks for your query.

After having a look at the image you attached here I consider it to be Gynecomastia of milder degree . Most of times cause for such a problem is hormonal and for sure there are treatments for the same.

Some medications like spironolactone , finesteraid etc do cause such problem but I do not think that in your case, If on any medications for long term please share the information about that.

I do understand your feelings about this , I suggest you to consult a endocrinologist who after assessing your estradiol and testosterone hormonal levels would put you on medications which will surely solve your problem to the grass root level.The hormonal treatment will also help you gain masculine appearance. Well , there are no surgeries for such a problem and do not go if one advises any.

It is a common problem seen in young individuals of your age , do not worry do proceed as I said.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Nipples are hard and standing out, bumps near nipples, not itchy or painful but sensitive. Want to know if there is any solution 17 hours later
Thank you for your advices! I really appreaciate it and i have a new hope to follow. I would like note you that No I didnt have any of the medications like spironolactone , finesteraid etc in past.

And about the consulting endocrinologist do i go to my Local GP and ask them to refer me to them ?? or will i need to find endocrinologist my self?

Also As you said there is a possibility that my problem can be solved from the grass root level. That line it self has giving me a new hope and courage. I would just like to confirm that statement with you. Is my condition 100% cureable ? and is it normal ? and have you seen these conditions before? if you have they been cured?

and finally in prediction what would be the total cost to cure this ??

thank you very much!
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 9 hours later
Hi again,

I would like to start with "Yes" , it is curable and I have been through such many cases but for your disappointment I would also like to add that it does take time may be months for it to be cured.

Being referred by your GP to an endocrinologist is the best option.

I am sorry , I would not be able to ascertain you the exact costs . I could say that its will not be too costly as it involves only medication which are of average cost.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Nipples are hard and standing out, bumps near nipples, not itchy or painful but sensitive. Want to know if there is any solution 2 days later
Can u be bit specific on that "months" please.. About how many many months?? .. And gp might take a loong time to get me refered to the endrocoligist. As they look at the seriousness of the condition and arrage the time accordingly.if i were to wait for too long, how shall i go contact with the private Any ways thank you doctor for the advises that u have given me..i hope you have a very good life ..
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 18 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

It is important to keep hopes alive while treating any medical condition and I am pleased to know that you have found hope again.

The type of treatment and recovery duration is difficult to be predicted at this point. You would need proper evaluation under the able guidance of endocrinologist. Evaluation would include a detailed history, investigations such as hormone assay, mammogram / ultrasound examination. Based on the results, the treatment can be:

1. No treatment needed - if your doctor feels this is physiological. Here the condition would regress in a few weeks to 3 years.
2. Medications - Hormonal drugs as suggested in my previous reply may take 3 months to one year roughly.
3. Surgical - Recovery here would take about 3 months.

The most important thing at this point would be to see an endocrinologist at the earliest. Please consider discussing with your physician if you haven't yet and I am sure he/she will refer you to an endocrinologist as soon as possible.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more help.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor