Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Nineteen weeks pregnant. Normal to feel jumping or kicking in uterus?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 5139 Questions
hello im 19 weeks pregnant is it normal for me to feel jumpng in my uterus or kicking feelings?

Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 22 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

Firstly, Congratulations on your pregnancy.

I would like to inform you that this is a period known as 'Quickening' which usually presents around 18-20 weeks in a first time pregnancy.

You will be able to feel the baby moving around inside the uterus as it is active and healthy and denotes a healthy development of it's nervous and musculoskeletal system.

Your baby is responding to certain stimuli, the most effective being just after a meal.

It is highly advisable that you keep a count of the baby's movement by around 28 weeks, taking into account the feeling of the baby kick or taking a full turn or rotation.

Maintain a chart of the DFMC or Daily foetal movement count 1 hour after breakfast, lunch and dinner. If the total count in 2 hours is more than or equal to 10 then your baby is not subjected to hypoxia or deprived of blood supply and oxygen as well. If there is decreased count you may need to consult your Doctor immediately.

Go for regular antenatal checkup. Get your blood pressure checked regularly, better in the left lateral position while lying down.

Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables for good nutrition and also to prevent constipation. Drink enough water. Avoid sexual intercourse or bumpy, long journeys towards the last 6 weeks of your pregnancy to reduce chance of pre-term labour.

Wishing you a beautiful pregnancy and healthy delivery and baby.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor