Nevi removed and diagnosed with junctional nevi with pigment incontinence and lichenoid inflammation. Suggest the treatment?

Posted on Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I had two nevi removed and the diagonsis is "junctional nevi with pigment incontinence and lichenoid inflammation" what does that mean? i am not sure if that is something to worry about.

the diagnosis for another nevus is "atypical compound nevus with moderate cytologic and mild architectural disorder"... the lab recommended re-excision and my doctor did so. the lab assumed shave biopsy but the doc actually did a punch. when he sent in the re-excised skin, the diagnosis said "no residual atypical nevus identified" and "prior biopsy site changes identified" (which makes me wonder what it means).

i really did not find out a lot about my individual risk for melanoma and i feel doomed. this is was the second atypical nevus removed within 10 years. i am biracial (latino & caucasian). mother was freckled with red-brownish hair and father was dark with a lot of moles. i have light XXXXXXX skin with freckles and about 100 very small moles. some light, some very dark. i've been tanning in tanning beds during my young adult years but stopped some years ago. also i do not burn easily but i can burn when i overdo it in the sun and i have no family history of melanoma (parents both deceased at an early age though).

i suffer from health anxiety (especially cancer) and i am very worried that i am doomed to get melanoma.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
not melanoma

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It is difficult to say whether a nevus is malignant or benign.
Whenever we Get atypical cells in a biopsy sample, biopsy is repeated to see whether there exist any truly malignant cells.
Now your next biopsy means that although you have a compound nevus but there are on malignant cells.
in other words there are no melanoma cells.
Please don't get worried.
Just keep a watch on the size of the moles.
A sudden increase in size may indicate malignant potential.
Let me know he you have low other doubt .
thank you
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 21 minutes later
Thanks for your answer.
Now my doctor said that the "junctional nevi with pigment incontinence and lichenoid inflammation" is nothing to be worried about. No atypical cells were found and it's a normal nevus. Do you agree with him?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
your doctor is correct

Detailed Answer:
Yes I agree with him.
Both functional as well as compound are totally normal.
Biopsy was repeated to confirm that.
Don't worry you are totally fine.
Thank you
Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist