Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Negative beta HCG test, have PCOD and thyroid problems, delayed periods. Prescribed Meprate. What to do?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 624 Questions
Hi, I had my last period on 7th July'12. I didnt get my periods in August. got Beta HCG test done on 10th Aug which is negative. I have PCOD and thyroid problems. I was advised meprate 10mg for 5 days. 5 days are over after the last dose. I still didnt get my periods. What to do now?
Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 42 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Menstruation/period generally starts on 14th day of ovulation. You were prescribed meprate probably to induce withdrawal bleeding.

Patients suffering with Poly cystic ovarian disease have multiple small cysts in their ovaries.

Thus, Ovaries become enlarged and produce excessive amount of estrogen and androgen hormones.

This results in anovulatory cycle, and absence of ovulation causes infertility.

Many patients with PCOD also have insulin resistance and have raised level of insulin.

These patients may not respond to clomiphen, thus treated with anti diabetic drugs like metformin and troglitazone.

Clomiphen is used to stimulate ovulation. Low doses of dexamethasone can be given simultaneously to suppress androgen production from adrenal gland.

If clomiphen doesn't work, a new anti-estrogen called Letrozole can be used.
Clomifen resistant women suffering with PCOD, may need HMG(gonadotrophis) to induce ovulation.

Difficult patients may require a combination of GnRH analog and HMG to induce ovulation successfully.

Metformin can improve your fertility by reversing endocrine abnormality and improving your ovulatory response.

You can conceive, provided ovulation occurs and you have sex around ovulation day.

You should consult an experienced Gynecologist to examine and find out cause of delay, and take treatment for PCOD/PCOS, and consult physician for hypothyroidism.

Thanks for trusting XXXXXXX and posting your query.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,

Dr.Chandra Shekhar Sharma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor