Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Need to introduce solid food for a 7 month old. Can I give gripe water?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 379 Questions
Hi, I am XXXXXXX from Chennai. My baby is 7 months old. Till 6 months, I have given mother feed. Now I wanted to start solids. Please suggest me what foods to start with. Shall I give idly, rice, soups, vegetables & juices (if so which fruit juice and whether I can mix water)? Please help. Also do I need to give Grape water for digestion?
Posted Sat, 7 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 1 hour later

I am glad that you had breastfed your baby till first 6 month. Now you need to start on complementary feeds. Over next 6 months child should be eating day to day items what family members eat, so by 1 year child can share mother's plate.

its a gradual process of introduction of dietary items
1. one after another
2. liquids or thicker liquids first, mashed chewables later
3. carbohydrates, fats first, proteins/spices etc later
4. small spoon with small volumes first then increase rge frequency and quantity over weeks
5.uniform feeds first and mixed feeds later
6. easy to hold and eat feeds once child starts picking up objects
7. avoid nuts, unable to chew or difficult to swallow feeds/nuts etc as long as child isnt 2 year old or can chew and has good teeth.

you can start with fruits juices, thick soups, porridges, kheers, sheeras with rice flour, ragii flour and sago flour in first 2 months. avoid bottles and formula as much possible as natural is best.
over net 2 months ad mashed potato/banana or if permissible boiled egg yolk, thicker soups, mashed idli, upma, soft overcooked khichri. you may use liberal ghee, curds.
give water in between avoid mixing water to feeds.grape juic is ok, not gripe water.

i hope this answers your concerns. few more details are at
this website
feel free to write back, thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor