Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Need opinion regarding child confined to a wheel chair due to raised senseless area in buttocks due to multiple sclerosis

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 589 Questions
My son is confined to a wheelchair. just under his right buttocks there is a raised area the size of a fifty cent coin. It is soft in the middle and little hard around the area. It is slightly red. He has no feeling in that area due to diease of MS. It has been there about1 week. Before this appeared, and I put some Aloe cream on the area and it went away. Now it has returned and would like your opinion. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Guru 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: May be a Pressure ulcer Detailed Answer: It may be a pressure ulcer which is also called decubitus ulcers or bedsore. These usually occur over a bony prominence due to pressure and friction in persons who are not moving. These are common in in those who are be ridden or wheel chair bound. These ulcers are little easy to treat when detected in early stages but if they get progressed it is very difficult to treat them. I suggest to get the confirmation of diagnosis as early as possible. A physical examination is mandatory to properly diagnose. Meantime, I want to suggest few things to prevent recurrence and progression. Control the moisture levels of the skin surface by maintaining appropriate temperature. Try to redistribute the pressure so that no pressure is applied to this particular raised area. Hope I have answered your query. If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows: WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you good health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor