Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Need diet advice to increase height

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 379 Questions
I am 172cms, 62 kgs..I want to increase my weight..what diet should I take.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Diet Plans
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 2 hours later
I am happy that you are conscious about your weight at age 28.
At age 28, your height 172 cm appears appropriate for weight of 62 Kg. People whose BMI is within 18.5 to 24.9(like your case) possess the ideal amount of body weight, associated with living longest, the lowest incidence of serious ilness, as well as being perceived as more physically attractive than people with BMI in higher or lower ranges.
So your weight is medically normal and healthy.

I would like to know the reason for which you would like to increase weight.
All are born with some potential for weight and height, that gets modified by hormonal effects, diet and environment. Parental heights and weights at respective age do have some binding on weight and height.
You just need to maintain weight and not gain weight.
On an average you should need to meals and 2 snacks a day amounting to around 2500 cal per day.With daily light exercises to keep you fit.

people eat heavy proteins, excess egg/meat, excess fats and even steroids to gain rapid weight, which in your situation doesn't appear sound.
If the reason for weight gain is cosmetic ( like say movie shooting), illness (recovery from TB), matching with spouse etc, all may have different natural or unnatural ways of weight gain. Commercial formulas that often claim rapid weight gain, do contain harmful chemicals often.

Please write back the exact reason, and whether you would really like to increase weight and why, so i can guide you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor