Neck stiffness from past 4 days, when it is released

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 25 Dec 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Neck stiffness from past 4 days, when it is released there is no pain but getting stiff after sleep and getting pain in the left side of neck and shoulder. When using intagesic MR tablet it is fine and later again starting after waking up from sleep. Occasionally using ice bags to relive pain but this never use to happen to me before, started on Tuesday after suddenly waking up from sleep
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be a muscle spasm- posture related.

Detailed Answer:
It is common in young people to have these neck pains. This could be a posture related pain or due to a neck muscle spasm.
You need to correct your neck posture habits, like appropriate neck position while working on computer, avoiding pillow while sleeping or while making sudden movements.
I assure you that this pain will go away with rest, using Intagesic MR tablet twice a day and a hot compress.
You can even do neck isometric exercises, which you can learn from a physiotherapist near you.
You will also benefit from frequent stretch breaks at work.
If it fails to subside have it examined and investigated by your orthopedician.

I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng