Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Neck hurt around Adam's apple. Why does his jaw, ear also hurt? Why does he have trouble sleeping?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
my husband began complaining that his neck hurt around his XXXXXXX XXXXXXX and now a few hours later, he says his jaw also hurts and his ear is hurting too, so much so that he is having trouble sleeping. He said he feels like he has chills, but he didn't feel hot to me, but unusually, he often actually will have his temperature drop a bit instead of getting fever. Any thoughts? I gave him two extra strength tylenol and 2 benedryl.
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Your husband most probably has a upper respiratory infection( viral more likely than bacterial since no fever). Chills are the response of our body trying to maintain the temperature whenever it drops or in certain typical infections like malaria or viral fevers , urine infection, abscess etc.
Since the pain started in his throat and then spread it seems more likely to be laryngitis or pharyngitis with pain and swelling of the surrounding structures .
Another less common but possible cause can be an allergic reaction in which case chills without fever and spreading pain and swelling or redness can occur .

You have appropriately given him medications ( Tylenol and Benadryl)
If its an allergy it should subside by the next day and also the symptoms should be relieved by benadryl . Other alternative antihistamine drugs like cetrizine and fexofenadine may also provide relief.
But if it persists or does not respond much to these medicines then it's mostly infection and you should get him evaluated by your doctor for further management with antibiotics or antiinflammatory medications.
So as of now nothing seems worrisome but if the symptoms persist for more than a day then please consult your doctor as soon as feasible .
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor