Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Neck bone fractures, major surgery, cervical brace if condition not deteriorating

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
My Father In Law's (age 75) right side neck bone below the temple has been fractured for a long time due to an accident. The treatment is continue from long time with doctors at Allahabad and they tried to cure it without surgery. Now it became critical (swolling started at neck and connected body parts). Doctors are suggesting to do a major surgery, but risk is high. We also went to PGI, Lucknow for treatment, but doctors at PGI also given same response that surgery is required but risk is 90% and if surgery is not done, the body become idel after some time.
Is the treatment possible without surgery? We want the treatment at AIIMS. What could be the right treatment? Please suggest us the right doctor.
XXXXXXX (0000)
Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 8 hours later

According to me, if the status of the patient is not deteriorating than surgery is not required and I would suggest applying a rigid cervical brace for rest of the patient’s life.

But if the status is deteriorating then without delay, the patient should go in for surgery, because further delaying it will make surgery of no use.
But definitely there is very high risk in surgery

I can suggest a few doctors whom you can consult & find out the exact outcome.
1. Dr JHA in Medanta Medicity in Gurgaon
2. Dr XXXXXXX acharya in Gangaram Haospital, New Delhi
3. Dr. Bhartia in Fortis, Jaipur

If you have any other queries on this write back to me. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Take care
Disclaimer: The information on this email and portal is provided for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, evaluation or care from your physician or other qualified healthcare provider as a complete assessment of an individual has not taken place. Nothing on this email and website should be used for treating or diagnosing a medical or health condition. This is not a replacement for Doctor - patient relationship and physical examination by other qualified healthcare provider.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor