Nausea, back pain and constipation. Underlying cause?

Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello Dr,
I've developed a feeling of nausea on Saturday the 19th, and haven't been able to shake it. Alka-Seltzer gives me some short term relief, but it always returns. I've tried to vomit, but only clear fluid comes up. I've been able to eat, but it always brings on more nausea. Yesterday my back has started hurting, and I've had pain in my mid-section from the start. One of my biggest concerns is that my bowels have a habit of not moving for 4 or 5 days at a time, and this has been for most of my adult life. I'm wondering if I have some sort of blockage.
Thanks, XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see detailed answer

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for contacting healthcare magic.

Firstly regarding your concern about blockage in bowels. As you said you have constipation for a long time (most of your adult hood). If there is no recent aggravation of constipation, then blockage of bowels is unlikely. Though to be completely sure one has to do a colonoscopy or a CT scan. Take whatever laxative suits you for constipation.

Regarding nausea, this symptom as I understand is for last 4 days. Nausea can be due to gastritis, reflux, drugs, or some viral infections. Try some empirical treatment for it. But if it persists for more than 10 days or any other associated symptoms develop then you should see a specialist near you, who can do tests to diagnose the cause of nausea. meanwhile I suggest you try tab DOMPERIDONE 10 mg thrice a day along with Tab OMEPARAZOLE 20 mg twice a day half hour before meals. I believe these should be available over the counter in United States.

Back ache doesnot appear to be related. usually most abdominal causes that may cause nausea, should cause pain in the abdomen not in the back. A pancreatic problem can manifest with back ache and nausea. Certainly if nausea and back ache persists a pancreatic problem will also be needed to be ruled out.

Can you explain more about mid-section pain. Do you mean it to be back ache or you mean there is a pain in abdomen. Sometimes even xconstipation can lead to pain in back as well as abdomen.

Please see a specialist near you place if your symptoms persist.

Hope my explaination helps you. You can write back if you have any other queries.

Best wishes,

Dr Duinesh Singal