Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Nasal inflammation, congestion, food allergies. Clear discharge from nose. Treatment with sinus or digestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
Hi my fiancé gets severe nasal inflammation and congestion from certain food allergies. Wondering how to treat as a sinus issues or digestion issue? Sometimes the congestion will break up and she'll get a large amount of thick clear discharge from her nose.
Ill also me mention she had rhino endoscopy surgery in october that didnt help at all. Possibly made the condition worse
The biggest trigger is dairy. We eat pretty much vegan. Both healthy and active
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Being allergic to particular agents (allergens) deserves a particular life style changes to be adopted. Its good already that the particular agent in this case has been identified. The very first thing shall be to avoid this particular food and related foods. Its very vital to develop the reflex to read up food items when you buy to avoid such reactions.

Secondly, excessive allergic responses may require prescription of anti allergic drugs (anti histaminic drugs, steroids, Lieukotirene inhibitors) and particular a specific procedure called immune desensitization. This procedure involves prescription of particular drugs over a given period of time, to help reduce the excessive hypersensitivity reactions to given allergens. This procedure certainly works for most people suffering from severe allergies. A qualified allergist will know about these drugs and immune desensitization; you may consult them.

My suggestion for now is avoiding the nasal congestion trigger as much as possible, consulting your family physician for temporal congestion alleviation drugs, and BOOKING AN APPOINTMENT WITH AN ALLERGIST.

Hope this helps. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.

Best regards,

Luchuo, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor