My wife went to Urgent Care last Sunday night. Diagnosis

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam

Posted on Wed, 20 Mar 2019 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My wife went to Urgent Care last Sunday night. Diagnosis was Viral conjunctivitis,Bilateral eye symptoms and Sinusitis. She has been taking medication eye drops (azelastine ophthalmic, .o5% solution, twice per day.) Tonight there is still a lot of redness around her eyes and having pain around her left eye. We cannot control it with 2 Ibuprofen or with cold or hot compresses. Any suggestions?

Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Review of diagnosis

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the question.

I am a practising ophthalmolgist for 8 yrs.
Generally these are the medicines that you described above, that we prescribe for viral conjunctivitis. The itching and redness would be cleared in 72 hours and seldom present after 5 days of use. If the itching and redness both were not reduce, you can review the diagnosis with the doctor.
If itching is cleared, to whiten the eye, we give vasoconstrictor drops naphazoline or Oxymetazoline. The recent Brimonidine are also useful. Your doctor can prescribe them to reduce the redness. These have some side effects as well.
I still suggest you to wait and watch with Azelastine, Prednisone and cold compresses before you again for change of medicine.