My wife of 83 is suffering from severe itching (a
For the last two months she has had water in the mastoid cavity as shown in a CT scan, causing dizziness and nausa, She has taken 28 Cefdinir antibiotic 300 mg 2 x day for the mastoid problem . She finished taking the Cefdinir two days ago.
Her lips are also swollen and painful (has used Gold Bond Lidocaine for relief from the lip pain, with relief for the most part, but has used it only once).
She takes Omeprazol for acid reflux 20 mg. twice a day.
She takes Hydrachloathyazide 12.5 mg 2 x day for blood pressure and edema.
She takes Lorazapam .25 mg at night to help in sleeping.
She takes Ondansetron 4 mg once in the morning for dizziness and nausea
She took Gabapentin 100 mg 3 x day for back pain, which was stopped one month ago,
She uses coconut oil as face and hand lotion. Uses Metradiazole salve for rosacea once a day (not used for two days).
Recent diet of mild pasta, soup, muffin, canned ham, one diet coke,
Two days ago, she stopped taking everything except Omeprazol, Lorazapam, and Ondansetron in hopes of relief from anything else that could be causing the reaction.
Last night her daughter rubbed her feet and she had some relief, but as soon as the massaging ended, her feet began to react, so much so that she went out into the snow for relief from the intense painful itching reaction under the skin.
She woke up this morning with a small parch of itching on her heel, that quickly spread to other areas of her body. No more sleep, and extreme agitation from the itching.
Probably an allergic reaction due to Cefdinir use.
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
I understand your concern.
The symptoms of your wife seem to be related an allergic reaction.
The allergic reaction can be caused by the use of Cefdinir antibiotic 300 mg.
This is one of the common side effects of Cefdinir.
I suggest your wife to avoid taking this medication.
I see through your query that you have already used Benadryl to relieve the symptoms.
In my opinion,prescribed steroid shots may be needed.
I would recommend to see your doctor for the prescription.
I would also recommend to use hydrocortisone cream for local application.
If she feels difficulties in breathing you should go to the emergency room for the treatment.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the cause of excessive sweating resulting in the feeling of been...
- What can cause itching and welts on the upper abdomen?
- How to treat itching of the skin with small scabs on hands and arms?
- What type of exercises are advisable for a patient with high blood...
- What causes severe pelvic pain after engaging in sexual intercourse?
- Can Simvastatin cause side-effects after being on it for 4 years?
- What do abdominal pain with difficulty urinating indicate?
- Does mold causes heart palpitation and hot flashes?
- Can Ketamine help treat chronic depression in an elderly person?
- How can itchy rashes on the stomach be treated despite using Lotrix lotion?