My wife just recently becomes very tired in the evening

Question
My wife just recently becomes very tired in the evening and has gone to bed as early as 6 pm and sleeps all night. She some times gets very tired in the AM. Is she suffering from iron deficiency?
Wed, 7 Feb 2018 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
that is one possible cause of fatigue, need complete blood count

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Iron deficiency can cause anemia (low blood count), which can cause fatigue. It is not the only cause of anemia. Some of the other causes would be low vitamin b12 or folate , chronic illness and blood loss.

Low levels of thyroid hormone can also cause fatigue as well as fighting an acute infection.

It would be good for her to be assessed with examination and blood tests. To determine if she has anemia due to iron deficiency or any other cause, she would need a complete blood count.
An ESR , to check for inflammation, would also be needed along with thyroid function tests.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions