My wife is taking pregnacare advanced (contains 15 mg iron

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 28 Mar 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife is taking pregnacare advanced (contains 15 mg iron + vit D) since day 1 in her pregnancy, she is 13 weeks now? She heard that iron can cause birth defects so she is worry all the time.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detail below.

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your query and health concern,

The World Health Organization recommends pregnant women take a daily iron supplement to reduce the risk of iron deficiency, anemia and low-birth weight. Even during pregnancy, though, you can have too much of a good thing. Too much iron may have a negative effect on your body and put your unborn baby at risk.
Yes, you use more iron, but supplementing iron can increase your miscarriage risk, and again, the fetus doesn't need that much iron until 21 weeks or so- so if you want to take the supplements around then if you do at all.
Iron supplements are probably safe for most people when taken at the recommended dose, though they can cause side effects. High doses can lead to serious complications.
Daily oral iron and folic acid supplementation with 30 mg to 60 mg of elemental iron and 400 µg (0.4 mg) folic acid is recommended for pregnant women to prevent maternal anaemia, puerperal sepsis, low birth weight, and preterm birth.

So first thing the dose she is taking is recommended dose,no risk of side effects.

Second -go check her hemoglobin ,if less than continue iron supplement,if in normal range than stop iron and restart after 20 weeks of pregnancy.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Her Hb is 10.5 g/dL. What is your recommendation?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
welcome.

Detailed Answer:

Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
She can continue 15mg daily supplement along with folic acid.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.