My wife is currently being treated for mold and yeast

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 6 Mar 2019 in Mental Health
Question: My wife is currently being treated for mold and yeast contamination. She has had anxiety and depression for many years. I am trying to understand
how the physical issues may be feeding or causing mental issues as she goes through this decontamination process. She has been showing many ups and downs and experiencing what sounds to
be bi-polar tendencies. Could there be any connection?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes there is connection

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for using ask a doctor service

Yes definitely there is connection between physical issues and exacerbation of mental issues. We can’t sumply label that mental issue is because of any physical problem but there is relation between these.

Physical problems might result in poor self care which could be the reason for yeast infection. This might increase stress which could lead to increased risk of mental problems. This can even precipitate mood episode too.

What kind of symptoms she is showing?

Which medicines she is taking right now?

Please provide details in follow up.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 24 hours later
She is seeing interactive medicine doctors currently. They say her immune system is totally compromised and very weak. She is on several supplements, an antibiotic and a medication to collect the mold and remove it from her body. She has a history of depression and anxiety. She is currently experiencing obsessive behaviors such as texting many people at all hours of the day and night when something is wrong and many others. Most of our family and friends seem to think bi-polar conditions are coming to the surface. I am being told the process to eliminate the mold and yeast is very hard on the body so I was wondering if that process could be causing the what appears to be mental issues.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Intractable infection might worsen anxiety

Detailed Answer:
HELLO AGAIN

Reduced immunity and also prolonged antibiotic use are reasons for repeated yeast infection. I don't think there is any direct relationship between anxiety, depression and infection.

But yes prolonged intractable infection can increase stress, this in turn might result in worsening of anxiety, compulsive behaviour and depressive symptoms. Feeling of helplessness sometimes develops and this worsens anxiety.

For her persistent anxiety please talk with her doctor for help. She can be given anti anxiety drugs in order to calm her till her infection resolves.

Thanks.