My wife is 11 weeks pregnant and in the early

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2019 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife is 11 weeks pregnant and in the early pregnancy scan we found to have small chorionic haemorrhage below the gestational sac which measures about 11×5 mm.
I need to know if excessive coughing and sneezing could have caused this and what are the chances of this haemorrhage to go away on its own.
What precautions can I take to ensure it does not grow further
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Proper rest can help in improvement.

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your query and understand your health concerns.
A small subchorionic hemorrhage in an early pregnancy can happen due to any stressful activity like coughing, sneezing, lifting heavy weight, doing an undue exercise, etc.
This can gradually resolve on taking proper rest and as the placenta grows with the growing gestational age. You can get her serum progesterone levels tested and start with proper supplements after consulting with her gynecologist. She needs to avoid all the stressful activities like constipation, cough, exercise, etc.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thank you Doctor. She also has more than normal gas trouble because of which she burps a lot.
Can this have an effect on pregancy?
Please let me know some ways to overcome gas trouble
XXXXXXX
Brief Answer:
Gas will not affect pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Having slightly more than normal gas is commonly seen during pregnancy. She can have some ginger juice with honey regularly to tackle this problem. Taking antacids and liquid enzyme preparations after meals will also help. This will not affect her pregnancy but can cause a discomfort to her.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 hours later
Thanks again Doctor for the responses. One last question on the subchorionic Haemorrage.
Are there tablets that can resolve the haemorrage situation? Can you suggest any.
Of course I will NOT take these tablets without consulting with my gynecologist, but I just want to know to comfort my wife that yes there are medications that can help Haemorrage NOT to grow.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medicines can prevent further hemorrhage.

Detailed Answer:
The medicines for subchorionic hemorrhage are hemostatics and progesterone supplements. These only prevent any further bleeding from the placenta. The blood that has already collected in the area gets resolved slowly with time. Medicines cannot help in disappearance of the blood that is already present.
You can get these medicines prescribed from her gynecologist.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad