My wife age 79 feels very dizzy (the room spins)

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 22 Jan 2019 in Headache and Migraines
Question: My wife age 79 feels very dizzy (the room spins) when she lifts and stretches her left arm. This began two weeks ago when she fainted and fell to the floor at home, suffering a broken nose and huge pain in her left shoulder that we thought was like whiplash. She has experienced very occasional fainting over several years, the cause unknown.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
suspected Posttraumatic vertigo.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to 'Ask a Doctor' service.

I have read your query and the additional comments, here is my advice.

Posttraumatic vertigo is a well-known condition after blunt trauma of the head, neck or craniocervical junction.

The most common form of vertigo after trauma is benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) that is generally triggered by certain head and neck positions and caused by changes in the inner ear apparatus after trauma.

Other forms of vertigo may be linked to brainstem concussion, etc.

This condition is evaluated and treated by an ENT Doctor, so, I suggest you consult with your ENT.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee