Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

My urine creatine level was abnormal. Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
My urine cretine level was 326! I'm female age 43? Should I be concerned

Celexa not celebs! Sorry
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Hello ,
Thanks for posting your query.
When the body breaks down a muscle component called creatine, a waste product called creatinine forms. In a healthy person, the kidneys remove the creatinine from the bloodstream and excrete it in the urine.
The normal amount of creatinine in the urine ranges from 500 to 2,000mg per day. The normal amount for a person varies based on his lean muscle mass and age. Normal ranges also differ slightly from one laboratory to the next because of the different equipment and testing methods used.
Usually females have low levels of creatinine due to decreased muscle mass and especially vegetarians have even lower levels.
Low creatinine levels in urine also indicate damage to the kidney. The damage can be caused due to a infection, shock, low flow of blood to the kidneys or urinary tract blockage.
However urine creatinine itself is not diagnostic of any such disorder.If urine creatinine is low and blood creatinine is high then it is more suggestive of a renal dysfunction.
There are many other tests to assess kidney function like serum creatinine, blood urea nitrogen, creatinine clearance ratio, serum electrolytes all of which may help in assessing the renal function in a better way.
Since you are having microscopic hematuria which is a sign of kidney problem, its advisable you consult a nephrologist for further evaluation and investigation.If necessary the doctor may also order renal scans or imaging to find the cause of the hematuria.
Please do not panic as I do not mean that you are suffering from any of the above mentioned problems.All I am saying is that its better to be safe by getting evaluated and ruling out any problem if further tests indicate the need.
Hope I have answered your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor