My upper legs muscles do not stretch. Could this be due to promethazine injection?

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I suffer from upper legs muscles that do not stretch I think may be due to years of the use of promethaseine injections. what is happening to my muscles?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Promethazine causes chemical irritation Detailed Answer: Hello I have studied your case. Promethazine Injection can cause severe chemical irritation and damage to tissues regardless of the route of administration. Irritation and damage can result from perivascular extravasation, unintentional intra-arterial injection, and intraneuronal or perineuronal infiltration. Another possibility of Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome. Clinical manifestations of NMS are hyperpyrexia, muscle rigidity, altered mental status and evidence of autonomic instability (irregular pulse or blood pressure, tachycardia, diaphoresis and cardiac dysrhythmias I will advise to reduce dose of Promethazine. If you improve your immunity by healthy and fresh diet with high natural anti-oxidant then recovery is possible. I will advise you to take neurotropics like methylcobalamine for improving nerve and muscle function. Many of my patients with multiple diseases find great relief by doing yoga, Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 7 hours later
I have not had any injections for over two years so I would guess that the damage is perminant. I find I have less movement as I get older. I can not kneel therefore yoga is impossible infact I have much trouble walking now. Would the medication you have suggested improve my condition? I was given promethazine and pethadeine injections for years for severe migraine. Both of which I no longer have administered.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes medication will improve condition Detailed Answer: Hello again Yes medication will improve condition and you will be better than before,you will need to consult orthopaedic doctor to examine your joint and rule out arthritis. There are various postures in yoga so those which are possible for you ,you can do those. Take care.