question-icon

My spouse has what feels like a muscle spasm below

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2019
Question: My spouse has what feels like a muscle spasm below her right rib cage. It is not constant, but comes on once in a while below her right rib cage. She lives a fairly sedentary lifestyle and we've been moving over the past few weeks to our new home, so her activity level has increased quite a bit during that time. We are wondering if she could have pulled a muscle in this area.
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka (32 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Cholecystitis is possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, welcome to Ask a doctor service.
I read your query and here is my advice.

I think your wife is suffering from cholecystitis or inflammation of gallbladder.
I don't think there is any muscle spasms at that region that you are referring to.
Most probably these contractions have to do with gallbladder inflammation and/or gallbladder stones.
Probably she should do an ultrasound and a liver chemistry to check it.
You can send me these results.

Hope I have answered the question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Olgeta Xhufka