Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

My son who is 4 and a half has been

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3508 Questions
My son who is 4 and a half has been crying about pain in his knee for 2 years. It’s in both legs and he cries in so much pain and suffering many times a week. We have done X-rays and they seemed ok although someone had told me his hip wasn’t very clear and could be causing the pain. Is there anything else that could be wrong with him? Arthritis? Or some other condition other than growing pains?
Tue, 6 Feb 2018 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Growing pain is the most likely cause.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Although growing pain is the most likely cause, there can be other causes of knee pain in a child like yours. It could indeed be due to juvenile arthritis, but if that were the case you would have found other symptoms like fever to be associated. Reactive and postinfectious arthritis can occur after a bout of infection like cough and cold, and Acute rheumatic fever is a possibility to consider. Childhood cancers like osteosarcoma could be a possibility but had that been the case, it would have shown up on the X Ray.

I am mentioning these since you ask. But by all probabilities, you need not burden with the myriad possibilities and growing pain remains the most likely cause.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: My son who is 4 and a half has been 2 hours later

He is on antibiotics now for having an ear, chest and sinus infection. He has a fever for 15 days and now 3 days into the antibiotics he still has fever but not as high. The nights he cries about his knees he is up that whole night trying to put himself back to sleep but the pain is too much.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Blood investigations needed

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

I can understand. I would suggest you get his blood tested for CRP level. Let me know the result and I will guide you accordingly.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor