My son who is 4 and a half has been

Pediatrician
Question
My son who is 4 and a half has been crying about pain in his knee for 2 years. It’s in both legs and he cries in so much pain and suffering many times a week. We have done X-rays and they seemed ok although someone had told me his hip wasn’t very clear and could be causing the pain. Is there anything else that could be wrong with him? Arthritis? Or some other condition other than growing pains?
Tue, 6 Feb 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Growing pain is the most likely cause.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Although growing pain is the most likely cause, there can be other causes of knee pain in a child like yours. It could indeed be due to juvenile arthritis, but if that were the case you would have found other symptoms like fever to be associated. Reactive and postinfectious arthritis can occur after a bout of infection like cough and cold, and Acute rheumatic fever is a possibility to consider. Childhood cancers like osteosarcoma could be a possibility but had that been the case, it would have shown up on the X Ray.

I am mentioning these since you ask. But by all probabilities, you need not burden with the myriad possibilities and growing pain remains the most likely cause.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: My son who is 4 and a half has been 2 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

He is on antibiotics now for having an ear, chest and sinus infection. He has a fever for 15 days and now 3 days into the antibiotics he still has fever but not as high. The nights he cries about his knees he is up that whole night trying to put himself back to sleep but the pain is too much.

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Blood investigations needed

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

I can understand. I would suggest you get his blood tested for CRP level. Let me know the result and I will guide you accordingly.