My son vomited in the evening until his stomach was

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2019 in Child Health
Question: My son vomited in the evening until his stomach was empty. No fever, no diarrhoea. Stomach bug or something else? He’s nearly 3 years old.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Questions so I can help

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Can you tell me a bit more so that I can assist you further:

1. How many hours ago did this happen?

2. Is he having abdominal pain (holding his tummy, or pulling his legs up when lying down, or complaining of pain)?

3. Has he been able to keep in liquids since this happened?

4. You wrote he has no fever or diarrhoea. Is he sick in any other way (a runny nose, etc)?

5. Does he have any chronic (ongoing) medical problems? Any ongoing medications he takes?

6. How is he feeling overall - is he running around able to play?

Awaiting the details to assist you further...
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 25 minutes later
1. Two hours ago, he was asleep when first vomit event happened waking him up. It happened again after an hour, waking him up again. No water since then, he refuses it since I could see him having contractions to vomit even with empty stomach.

2. He’s not crying in pain

3. He has no runny nose or anything else, just this vomiting thing

4. No ongoing medical issues, he’s not taking any medicine

5. He’s asleep as it’s past midnight here. Vomit woke him up three times, even when he had nothing else in his tummy to throw out. No fever at all.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
If he is sleeping comfortably right now, I would leave him be with watchful waiting until he wakes up in the morning. It may be a "stomach bug" (viral gastroenteritis) but I can't say for sure yet.

If he continues to vomit and not be able to take in anything without vomiting it back up, then there is the risk of dehydration and electrolyte imbalances. Dehydration can happen more quickly in young children. If in the morning, he is unable to take even an ounce of water without vomiting, then it is time to go into a clinic where he can be given an IV and antiemetic (anti-vomiting medicine).

However, he may be better when he wakes up.

Other concerns are:
1. If you have recently travelled outside the UK, to a country with poor sanitation, then there is the possibility of bacterial or parasitic infections, which would require an antibiotic.
2. If he begins showing signs of abdominal pain (when not vomiting), then we need to think about problems such as appendicitis, or, less commonly, kidney infection.

So... when to take action:
1. In the morning, he is not able to drink without vomiting, or make urine.
2. He is having abdominal pain, not just when he is about to vomit or is vomiting.
3. He has a severe headache.
4. He continues to vomit over a period of 8 hours.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can clarify or provide additional information. I am in XXXXXXX Wisconsin and the time difference is about 6 hours.
If you have more questions later, please feel free to write back.