My son of 8 years has ADHD and is taking
It can be withheld on weekends after discussion with physician
Thanks for asking on Ask A Doctor platform
I have gone through the query and do understand your.
Ritalin LA contains methylphenidate and it is a long acting formulation.
The time of onset of action is about 1 hours and half life of elimination of drug from body is about 10 hours.
There are many studies showing the drug holiday means discontinuing the medicine on weekend has some benefits but still this is not followed as a recommendation. Considering the less duration for onset of action weekend gap should not effect the next dose.
As the onset of action is less the drug holiday can be considered after discussion with the treating physician under close monitoring.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
So by not giving it to him on weekends is not going to affect the efficacy of it on Monday....is that correct?
Yes, because of short duration of onset of action and limited half life of elimination from body. But drug holiday should be strictly under supervision of physician.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What are the symptoms of poisoning in a child?
- Suggest treatment for severe cough and fever in a child
- What causes cough, fasciculation, nasal congestion and fever?
- Can an infant be fed with castor oil to cure colic?
- What causes painful red blisters on tonsils?
- Suggest remedy for neck swelling in a child
- Suggest remedy for constipation in children
- Suggest remedy for persistent dry cough and cold in a child
- Suggest remedy for severe fever and cough in a child
- Suggest remedy for headache, dizziness and vomiting