question-icon

My son is having problem in right ear, Right ear

Posted on Sat, 23 Mar 2019
Question: My son is having problem in right ear, Right ear full of wax which is in dark orange color with foul smell. Left ear is all fine. No hearing issues and no pain. What can be done, please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Please consult an ENT specialist for evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on Ask A Doctor platform

Foul smelling dischage from ear with collection and abnormal color in children can be due to wax itself or can be due to associated bacterial or fungal infection.
Pain is not always associated with this condition if it us limited to outer part of ear. Sometimes some foreign body in ear may get infected and xan present lije this.
As there is no pain or other symptoms like fever most likely it is limited to outer ear which is comparitively less dangerous.
Still as ear is vital part of body lije eye I would suggest you to consult an ENT specialist immediately for evaluation. He may need some test of discharge, wax/foreign body removal, with some ear drops.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology