My son is a healthy 30 year old so for

Cardiologist
Question
My son is a healthy 30 year old so for quite a few years now he seems to be having heart problems he does have a heart murmur but what is happening is his heart races out of control he gets the sweats and during the night last night it happened again this time he was throwing up. He never knows when these attacks are going to happen they just do. As for heart problems in the family we’ve had a few, cancer as well diabetes and thyroid disease
Sun, 4 Feb 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

I understand your concern and would like to explain that first it is necessary to investigate whether the heart murmur is due to any structural cardiac disorders (such as a cardiac valve dysfunction, congenital disorder like atrial septal defect, etc., any certain cardiomyopathy like hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) or is just a trivial finding such as a hyperdynamic blood circulation, like in certain conditions like hyperthyroidism, anemia, etc.

Coming to this point, a careful cardiac ultrasound review would provide valuable information for excluding any cardiac structure abnormality. Sometimes a transesophageal cardiac ultrasound could reveal a barely detectable disorder by routine transthoracic cardiac echo.

The second point would be to find a possible connection between this cardiac murmur and associated clinical symptomatology like the bouts of racing heart and excessive sweating.

In order to properly clarify this issue, several lab tests are recommended:

- complete blood count,
- resting ECG,
- thyroid hormones level,
- blood electrolytes level,
- fasting blood glucose level,
- ambulatory ECG monitoring (Holter),

In case a structural cardiac disorder is excluded and no abnormality of lab tests is detected, then a digestive or neurological implication should be sought as well.

For giving a more detailed opinion, it would be necessary to directly review here your son's echo report and any available lab tests.

You can upload them here on HCM.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further questions, feel free to ask me again.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri