question-icon

My son is 7 years and 9 months old ,

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2019
Question: My son is 7 years and 9 months old , he has some blood which seems fresh with poop. I worried it shouldnt be something serious. What could be the reason?
Answered by Dr. Prasad (53 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Need some details...

Detailed Answer:

I would like to know if this was one time occurrence or does it occur often?
Is he able to pass stool without problems? Or is he constipated?

Fresh blood with stool is often from the lower intestine (rectum) and it is usually due to minor trauma secondary to hard stools. Sometimes a fissure in anus may cause the same. It shouldn't be concerning as those heal spontaneously with extra fluids and fiber rich diet. But if the problem is a recurring one, it would be worthwhile to get it looked by his doctor.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad (12 hours later)
This occurs every 10-15 days , usually he does not feel any discomfort but he has to push a bit befor he starts to poop.
Answered by Dr. Prasad (11 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Try the above mentioned options...

Detailed Answer:

As and when stool becomes hard, it becomes hard to pass out and he might have to push harder. This will induce some trauma that may bleed. I suggest you try above mentioned treatment options (increased fluid intake and fibre rich diet) and see if it gets better.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other clarifications.

REgards
Dr. Prasad