question-icon

My son is 23 years old and is a respiratory

Posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2019
Question: My son is 23 years old and is a respiratory patient who requires a ventilator. He has had a fever for the past few days with a headache. The headache is now gone, but his neck is extremely painful. His lymph node on the left side is very swollen and the one on the right is somewhat swollen. He is not experiencing any respiratory issues.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

I am concerned about the combination of fever plus neck pain, particularly if he is having a stiff neck, because of the possibility of meningitis. This is relatively rare, but if he has a fever and painful stiff neck, then he should be seen promptly.

Meningitis does not typically cause lymph node swelling in the neck - that is more typical of an infection upper respiratory infection or throat infection.

So I do recommend that he go in to be seen to be on the safe side.

Let me know if I can assist you further...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh