question-icon

My six year old is feeling unwell. Has had temp

Posted on Thu, 28 Feb 2019
Question: My six year old is feeling unwell. Has had temp during the day but is being brought down with medication - calpol and nurofen! When going to sleep is waking sweating and confused and scared and saying he needs to scream? Has had a cough but complaining of sore limbs and sore neck also?
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D (36 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Fever with Confusion with neck pain needs neurological evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Welcome to Ask a Doctor service.

Some viral fever tend to spread to the brain and meninges (the coverings of the brain) and cause viral encephalitis and meningitis and that leads to confused mental state with drowsiness and neck rigidity.

I urge you to get your son examined by a child neurologist at the earliest, a lumbar puncture to test the CSF (Cerebrospinal fluid) will be required along with an MRI scan.

If encephalitis or meningitis is suspected, your son will need hospitalization for treatment.

Please do not ignore or delay.

I hope this information will be useful. You can update the progress once you are back from the ER or hospital.

Wishing your son a speedy and complete recovery.

Warm regard
Dr. Yogesh D