My six year old is feeling unwell. Has had temp
Fever with Confusion with neck pain needs neurological evaluation
Welcome to Ask a Doctor service.
Some viral fever tend to spread to the brain and meninges (the coverings of the brain) and cause viral encephalitis and meningitis and that leads to confused mental state with drowsiness and neck rigidity.
I urge you to get your son examined by a child neurologist at the earliest, a lumbar puncture to test the CSF (Cerebrospinal fluid) will be required along with an MRI scan.
If encephalitis or meningitis is suspected, your son will need hospitalization for treatment.
Please do not ignore or delay.
I hope this information will be useful. You can update the progress once you are back from the ER or hospital.
Wishing your son a speedy and complete recovery.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Abdominal pain, history of gall bladder disease. Overnight treatments?
- Bleeding from a razor cut. HIV infection chances?
- Had craniotomy done after accident. Can I masturbate now?
- Pregnant via IVF, second pregnancy. Problems with vaginal delivery?...
- How much does liver cancer surgery cost in Canada? Will Health Canada...
- Sore throat, abdominal pain. Blood work and strep test good. Had bowel...
- 3 week old baby, cries while passing urine, holds body tight while...
- Persistent red and pink urine, stressed. Serious?
- White discharge from surgery wound, pus from the internal stitches....
- What steps to take to lessen plaque in arteries and lower chances of...