My right eye is red. During the night, last night,

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My right eye is red. During the night, last night, I awoke to the eye watering profusely. It is not gunky at all. It just looks red and was watering very much during the night last night. Is there something I can put in the eye to help with this?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Antiinflammatory eye drops...

Detailed Answer:

Based on the details, you developed acute red eye with watering overnight. I wish to know if it itches or hurts? Is your vision alright?

From the details provided, this seems like conjuctivitis. I would treat with antiinflammatory eye drops (dexamethasone eye drops) along with antibiotic drops. I don't think that's available over the counter. You need to see a doctor for a prescription.

Hope this helps. let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 23 minutes later
To answer your questions: It does not itch or hurt and my vision is fine. There is no goopy discharge like I've always had with conjunctivitis, so I didn't think it could be pink eye/conjunctivitis.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Goopy discharge is a feature of bacterial infection...

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry if my previous answer wasn't elaborate. Goopy discharge is part of bacterial conjuctivitis. Redness and watering are the lone symptoms of viral or allergic conjunctivitis. Further this is not a diagnosis, but a possible cause based on the symptoms you described.

In my opinion, if the redness and watering is persistent, I believe antiinflammatory drugs along with antihistamines are necessary. Antibiotic are necessary to prevent bacterial contamination. Home remedies / OTC products may not be effective.

Hope this is clear now. Let me know if you still have questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad