My right eye has had red eye for over a
different possible causes
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Red eye is one of the more common symptoms that can affect the eye.
It is most common due to inflammation of the conjunctiva (a lining or membrane that covers the inside of the eyelids and front of the eye). This would- allergic conjunctivitis or infection - neither of these are likely for you since infection of the conjunctiva does not usually stay this long and allergies affect both eyes (also additional symptoms)
Other causes such as episcleritis (inflammation of the episclera which is a clear layer that lays above the sclera of the eye. Sclera is the outer white area of the eye
(3)dry eye (this usually affects both eyes, but can affect one eye in some persons)
Other conditions that cause red eye such as: (1) scleritis (inflammation of the sclera which is the outer white layer of the eye)
(2) or iritis (inflammation of the iris which is the colored portion of the eye) or
(3)corneal ulcer or keratitis (inflammation of the cornea which is a protective outer layer found in the front of the eye
These 3 are usually associated with pain
Since the eye has been red for a month and you have tried over the counter medications with no improvement, it would be best to be assessed at this stage.
An optician or opthalmologist would be able to examine the eye and determine the more likely cause based on the info given above
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?