question-icon

My right eye got blurry about three times today. It

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2019
Question: My right eye got blurry about three times today. It stayed blurry for only a couple of minutes. About five hours ago I noticed my eyelid became red. Now it’s starting to ache
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
See below

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor.

I would suspect that your eye blurriness would be related to the eyelid redness and aching, and the most common condition causing these symptoms would be a hordeolum, or stye, which is a small abscess in the eyelid.

Usually these resolve on their own, and you can help it resolve by using warm compresses over the eyelid, for about 15 minutes 4 times a day. Gently massaging and wiping the eyelid can also help it to drain. Only if it didn't go away in 1-2 weeks, or if you started having eye pain, eyelid swelling and redness around the eye, would you need to see any eye doctor or be started on antibiotics.

If you can send a picture of your eye it might help to confirm that this is the case, or whether it might be something else.

I hope that helps, let me know if you can send a picture and I will reply back to you. Otherwise please let me know if you have any other questions or anything else I can help with.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Aaron Branch