Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
142 Doctors are Online

My right ear gets a sharp pain when I chew. Can online doctor help?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 661 Questions
My right ear gets a sharp pain when I chew. I can also hear my heart beat in my right ear. Can you help?
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 9 minutes later
Thanks for the query

The description provided is insufficient. as any swelling or any associated symptoms like fever, headaches, any discharged. duration of the problem

If is probable that you might having ear infection. Kindly reply with requested information.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: My right ear gets a sharp pain when I chew. Can online doctor help? 35 hours later
No fever, no discharge, no swelling. The pain started about a month ago, the audible heartbeat has been going on for around six months.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 34 minutes later
Thanks for the reply

now the details that you have provided is not due to the inner ear infection but due to Eustachian tube blockage.

The Eustachian tube is short tube that drains the inner ear fluid into the nasal cavity. when the tube gets blocked there is accumulation of the fluid in the ear cavity. when there is flow of blood the systolic beat is felt through the fluid which gives you feeling of heartbeat in the ear.

Therefore it is recommended to visit the ENT doctor for proper management as you may require steroid treatment

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor