My question to be answered by Dr XXXXXXX D, Dear
My mother in law ,72, nondiabatic,sufferd from stomach pain since last 15 days on right side .
Sonography of whole abdomen done,attaching the report
1.It showed calcium cyst in left kidney
She is taking calcium tablets daily,
Pl go through reports and give yr opinion asap.
What type of treatment do we require to remove the cyst?Is it serious issue?
Dr XXXXXXX D should answer my question
If there are no symptoms, NO treatment is required.
Thank you very much for consulting me again here on Ask A Doctor.
I have carefully gone through your description of the problem as well as all the attached scan images and report.
As per the scan, the cyst is on the left Kidney and the rest of the kidney does not show any indication of this cyst causing any problem to the kidney.
Your Mother-in-Law has pain on the right side, which could be due to irritation of the stomach or gallbladder.
The abdominal pain does not seem to serious as there are no significant findings on the ultrasound scanning.
Grade 1 Fatty liver is not a problem in 72 year old lady.
She can reduce starch rich foods like rice and potatoes.
Both these findings on USG abdomen are not at all significant, you can repeat the scanning once in 6 months to see if there is any change.
If at all she has left sided pain that radiates down to the inner thighs or labia, or if she develops fever with flank pain or blood in the urine, then you can get this cyst removed.
It can be removed by keyhole surgery (PCNL).
There is nothing much to worry dear XXXXXXX so relax.
I hope I have answered your query and hope you will find this information useful.
1.My mother in law has the pain in the last rib at right side just above the waist.She had slip disc trouble 4 years ago.
2.Is this problem related to gall bladder or spondilytis or mussle pain or slip disc etc.
3.What are the medicines for calcium cyst in left kidney?she used to take calcium tablet daily since last 2/3 years.but now she has stopped them.
4.She even has arthritis .knee pain,
5.What are the causes of fatty liver??
No medicines required for calcium cyst of kidney.
Dear Ms Abhyankar,
Thank you for writing back to me with further details.
1. The pain on the right side is unlikely to be due to spondylitis or slip disc. It is either muscular pain or due to distention of gall bladder or due to stretching of the liver capsule as the liver is enlarged.
She can apply some local ice pack and see if it improves.
2. She does not need to take calcium supplements unless she has severe osteoporosis.
3. No medicines are available for Calcium cysts of the kidney.
4. Apply ice packs and hot compress alternatively to the knees. If the pain is severe, she can take a painkiller like Tramadol under the supervision of her orthopedic doctor.
5. Fatty liver is usually a result of obesity (excess fat deposition in the body in general), and diabetes (more of the glucose that is not utilised by the rest of the body gets converted into fat in the liver and gets accumulated over time leading to fatty liver).
Other cause of fatty liver is alcohol consumption.
Strict sugar control will reduce fatty liver.
I sincerely hope this answers your query.